Wednesday, March 20, 2013

the life and death of sam

Sam has been my companion for the last few weeks, and this last weekend he saw more of me than I would have liked to see him.

Sam had made his home in the corner of my bathroom ceiling and since I am moving to Kenya in less than 4 months I have decided that Sam and his family really can't hurt me, but rather we should become friends. So I agreed... on my terms.

1. He was to remain in the corner, no wall time allowed while I was in there.
2. He was to remain motionless while I was present, any sudden movement may freak me out.
3. He was free to leave whenever he so desired and did not need to ask my permission.

We had bonded because he had agreed and abided by my terms for the last few weeks.

This last weekend, I ate pizza, and one of the main ingredients on pizza is cheese, (which is my second favorite food after the spice cinnamon) however my body did not seem to agree. Beginning early Sunday night, all day Sunday and all day Monday, the thing I saw the most, other than my bed, was Sam. I definitely did not enjoy our meetings but had decided that since I was moving to Kenya and was probably going to face a few of these bouts of "sickness" and was probably going to have to share space with larger more freakishly creepy insects in 4 months that I could manage our time together. We made it through.

You see I'm excited for the new culture, different living conditions, interesting food choices (hopefully my body will agree with me on this one), amazing people, long walks, anything, anything but the insects. Sam had become a challenge to me. He remained in the corner of the ceiling of my bathroom and my fear was lessening... so I thought.

Until yesterday. Yesterday, Sam decided to break rule number one and two. I was showering, he in the corner of the ceiling looking peacefully asleep woke up as soon as the steamy water turned on. He began to move, still remaining close to the ceiling and wall but towards me, but then he stopped.

Sam has not only helped me curve my fear of spiders (partially), he has also helped me learn how to take speedy showers! Before Sam, showers were a relaxing time to wake up, 15-20 minute process...sometimes longer. But once Sam arrived, showers became more like 5 minutes, 10 minutes if he didn't move. A few times he helped me break my record, less than 3 minutes and completely clean I promise!

But today, after his breaking of rule numbers one and two yesterday decided to break number three as well. Which I would have been fine with if he would have only waited 1-2 more minutes, but no! I had completed all of my showering duties except the washing of my face, Sam had remained still so I turned, scrubbed the suds off my face and then freaked. I had this feeling Sam was no longer on the ceiling. I quickly turned around and my feeling was correct... I freaked! I looked up, no Sam, my body shook, he better not be in my hair! And then I looked down, and there he was, almost to my feet, dead in the water. Sam had died...

Sam taught me a lot...
1. how to make friends with insects and be able to shower in their presence.
2. he (may have) helped lessen my fear of spiders just a bit.
3. spiders are fully willing to commit suicide in order to make their new human friend completely freak.
4. it's okay to make friends with creepy insects, just watch your back (or feet in my case)!
5. spiders don't follow rules.
6. preparation for quick showers in Kenya.
7. company of an insect who can't ask questions or understand what's going on is not bad company to have while sick.
8. spiders are friends.
9. if you eat the wrong food, a spider may become your best friend.
10. the worse is more likely to come.

Sam- you were a good friend. I'm sorry you chose to die the way you did. The corner of my bathroom ceiling will miss you, I however, well maybe I will little. Rest in peace.



And yes, the hair was picked up with the spider, I couldn't reach down and get rid of the hair before the picture because that would put my hand too close to Sam which just in thinking about that right now makes me squirmish.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...