Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Behavior 101

The classroom before we split rooms...approx 46 kids. The kids I took... yes those ones crawling around on the floor and looking around and not working :)
What do you mean these walls aren't for climbing? 
How many times must I tell you to get down? Can you please just sit! 
You guys I love you but you are just too close and it's too hot, I may pass out or be sick. 
Scoot back! 
Sit down! 
*insert name*!!!...where are you going? 
Can you say please? 
Please don't hit me. 
Sema...asante. 
You can do it! *big smile*

Wait you want me to listen to you?
These were just a few of the sayings during those first few weeks of school that I said so many times (in both languages) that I thought to myself, "I'm not sure I can do this". I believe God was totally working during these moments showing me to let go of myself and my own efforts and let him love through me. 


haha teacher (mwalimu)... you think you can teach us! We'll just play games while you "talk".
Good behavior and discipline really didn't exist in the hearts of these kids when I took them. It was wild may be an understatement. I was trying to teach and no one was listening. I got to the point where I didn't even know what to say. I was tired of "disciplining" and calling for help when they would just smile and do whatever it was I was asking them not to do. It wasn't that they didn't understand me, believe me they did, they just wanted to see how much they could get away with.

Sleeping sounds so much more fun than listening to your teaching teacher...
So what exactly is discipline in a village school? In college we called it behavior modification, some call it spanking, canning, punishment... whatever title you give it, it may seem painful but with lots of love, rewarding the good behavior and at times ignoring the little defiance's out can come a desire to want to do the right thing. Every teacher carries a stick (fimbo) even if you never use. Its mostly used for pointing to things on the blackboard or hitting a pole to get the attention of those dozing. If one doesn't carry a stick, they are seen as one who can't control. Kids look at someone without a stick and realize they can get a lot closer and do wrong and not get punished. 

So here I was in a classroom with 12 little people (by the end of the first week my roster count was 19) and it was crazy! (another understatement). And I was expected to carry a stick, use it actually. For the first few days I did everything opposite to what they are use to. I sat on the floor instead of a chair, I didn't carry a stick, I rewarded good behavior, I gave them attention while they were working, I smiled even when it was crazy, I even handed out candy! With some prayer over the weekend I came back and decided I'm just going to hold the stick and see what happens. I can't begin to explain the difference in behavior. I began to do love taps (as I called them) on the hand for little things, talking while I was talking, getting up while I was teaching, leaving the classroom without asking permission, hitting their friend, etc. It was a way for me to use their way of discipline without causing pain and still able to get their attention. 

This lasted about 3 days. I then decided to experiment and not carry the stick. I did (and sometimes still do) have to pretend to be grabbing the stick when I see someone doing something I've asked them not to do but they almost always stop. I don't have to call for help ever. I have a classroom full of happy, well-behaved and disciplined kids.

Changing up with environment and doing school outside for a bit...practicing writing our a, b, and c's.
And that lasted for a whole 5 minutes... I want to go play!
 I love watching them work together, help each other (as long as they aren't doing each other's work) and show love to one another. I love that there are mostly smiles and not a lot of tears throughout our days. I love that an upside down bench can be a great place to do your work so that you can have some personal space... :)

Penina glancing my way, her older sister Hilda in the green dress helping Anita with her writing.
Yes there is hope for a quiet classroom where all the kids are working, even if they are 2, 3, 4, and 5 years old. Expectations are everything!

I truly have seen miracles on God's part as I get to the end of myself and let him speak through me. There were (and are) moments where I still get frustrated and I love that He reminds me to stop, talk to him, invite him into the moment and then do His will. He reminds me often that I am just like these sweet kids. I have my moments where I don't listen, purposely do what I'm not suppose to and how does He react? With patience, with grace, with love. I want to show these kids Jesus like He shows himself to me all the time.

The kids have reminded me often that I am student in their culture as they are students in my classroom. They humble me often. They love to teach. They have a head, shoulders, knees and toes song in swahili and I often touch the wrong body part on purpose and then have them "teach me". They also love to stand in front of the class and teach with the pictures or objects I have been using. Not only is a great way for them to get some individual attention but always helps me gauge how much they know.
Here sweet Sauda did a great job teaching the class the English names of the utensils (that they never use :)). 
I cannot wait to get back in the classroom for our second term starting in May. I cannot wait to see God show up. I cannot wait to see the kids exceed my expectations both in behavior and learning. I cannot wait to pour out God's love. I can't wait to show them Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could use a stick in my classroom! You're doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...