Monday, July 30, 2012

Synchronized diving with Jesus

As of July 24th, 2012 I am an appointee for SIM! They received my signed placement agreement with Kenya!

More details to come in the next few weeks as I solidify with Kenya exactly what I will be doing, a goal date set, and finances figured out.

I have been waiting a long time to finally receive the congratulations email and I was surprised at myself for my reactions. My first reaction was to cry, I was walking through the hallway from the Sanctuary to the Kids building. My phone buzzed with an email, I checked it and the subject line said, "Celebrate!"...I sat down, and read, it was true, it was finally coming together. Tears rolled down as the busyness around me continued and I was in my own little world. A co-worker walked up, I wiped the few tears, and just smiled at her. I gave her the quick update and then we had to move on to tasks that had to be accomplished.

When I got home that evening, I wasn't really sure what to think. Happiness for sure, so thankful that God was continuing to show me what He has planned. At the same time, I felt confused. Confused because I am absolutely loving what I am getting to do right now. I want nothing more than to be where God wants me and know that wherever that is, is where I will find joy. With the community of believers that surround me here, it is overwhelming to think that there will be a time in the next year when many goodbyes will be said. There is so much to do between this moment and getting on a plane to Kenya and now begins the slow dive into the unknown of unknowns that await me in the months ahead.

"It's never as bad as you think, it's always for the best." 
"No accidents, just appointments" 
"There is no panic in heaven, just plans"

Such a great sermon by Pastor Philip De Courcy last night as part of Shadow Mountain's Summer Bible Conference. He spoke on Genesis 50:15-20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good, to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." -Genesis 50:20


There were 2 points that really stood out in his message.
Flexibility and faith go hand and hand: As I think about missions, even these last couple months of waiting for my signed agreement with Kenya, it has been nothing but flexibility and faith. Flexibility in thinking what would take a week ended up taking 10 weeks to accomplish. Faith in believing that God was still at work, regardless if I knew about it or not. As I move into the next phase, flexibility and faith will continue to have to be my way of living. From basic answers to the more specific and difficult, I must rely on the Holy Spirit to continue to help me be patient and have peace while His plans are being lived out.
Look back, live forward: I have heard quite a few inspirational quotes and sermons trying to help one live for the future as God would intend it. What role might our past play as we strive to live for eternity? I like how De Courcy summarized it. Look back, see how you acted, remember how God carried you, and then live forward, working with the Spirit to be more like Jesus. We can't change the past, but we can learn from it and we can strive to be more like Jesus. He has plans for each of us, by using the past to learn from, we can make better choices in remaining on the path that He has for us.

So where does that leave me at this moment?

This last week, the Olympics began. I love summer sports, especially swimming, gymnastics, field hockey, water polo, diving, and who couldn't love canoeing...haha jk on the last one :) But as I try to figure out where I am at the moment, I can't help but come up with an Olympic illustration.

Last night, I watched synchronized diving. The judges, commentators, and myself picked apart the divers and their approach, their angles as they rotated their bodies quickly in air, as well as their entry into the water. When one diver would make one small difference from the other, when one would flip faster, or enter before the other diver, we as spectators and judges would be quick to point out their flaws and the respond with a score. This life, this journey, this day, I'm standing on the platform, looking to Jesus as my partner on the diving board next to me and waiting for his "go". I then must do everything I can to remain in sync with the motions he will take with each step, lead, flip, twist, and entry. Each day is a dive; and at the same time, this life is a dive as well.


How do I stay in sync with Jesus knowing that there are spectators watching our every move, waiting to pick apart when we are off by just a slight 1 or 2 degree angle?
Kelci Bryant - Olympics Day 2 - Diving
How will I react in order to get back in sync with Him when we do get off.

As I look to Him on the next diving board over, are we preparing for the same dive?

Are our thoughts in sync enough that we will enter the water at the same time in the same position in order to score the highest amount of points?

What will be the level of difficulty of our dive?

So much goes into each dive; concentration, focus, trust, patience, calmness, and so much more. As I get ready to begin the motion, I want nothing more than to be in sync with Jesus. Whether it be in this day, in this moment, or in this life, I know that He has a plan, that there is no panic going on in heaven even though I want nothing more than to freak out right now. As hard as it will get, as scary as it may be, God is and will be working in each moment for the best. Knowing that Jesus makes no accidents, I can move forward knowing each conversation, meeting and email is planned by God. I can think back to these last 10 weeks of waiting and know that no matter how long it takes, Jesus does hear my prayers, and He will answer, just in His timing.

I'm thinking He has a pretty high level of difficulty dive prepared for us to accomplish together and I will be looking to Him for wisdom, patience, and direction as we strive together for the gold streets of heaven.

Prayer requests:
- a detailed outline of my placement from the field. (because the position that I have is being created, they do not have details completed yet)
- finances figured out so that support raising can begin. (monthly and start-up costs)
- not feeling overwhelmed by the to-do list.
- balance between Kenya and the Ministries (work, friends, family, etc) that God has me in currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...