Thursday, August 2, 2012

God has a definite plan...

"Before life can be lived, before ministry can be done, the Holy Spirit needs to show up in your life. Because the Christian life is not the life you and I live for God, it's the life that God lives in us, it's the life that God lives through us by the power of the Holy Spirit. It's the life of Jesus taking up residence in our life." 

"God has a definite plan, He knows my future and your future, and it doesn't matter what sin you commit or others commit against you, He will use it for good." 

"You can't buy hope. The Bible says that God gives us faith, hope and love."

- Driscoll, Jesus Loves His Church series, sermon #1: Jesus Gives Life


Filling up of the soul with Jesus is one of the most energizing things a Christian can do. I love sleep. I love waking up feeling rested, I love waking up not to an alarm, I love waking up and getting to spend those first few minutes in prayer without having to rush to the shower. Am I a morning person? Yes, when I get to wake up on my own :) A human being needs sleep. We need rest. A Christian needs time with Jesus. We need His Word. We need His power. We need His love.

The last few days I have gotten to spend the moments resting, allowing my body to catch up on much needed R&R. Whether it be watching the Olympics, laying out in the pool reading a book, or spending time with friends, it has been so physically refreshing. And in these days, there is no time schedule, no routine, nothing that has to get done. I'm able to watch a sermon, read my Bible, and pray and journal and not feel rushed by the next thing on the to-do list. It is liberating actually.

And so I reflect on the time. I noted a couple quotes above by Mark Driscoll in his sermon that I watched called "Jesus Gives Life". It's the first sermon in his newest series and was very encouraging. Lately, I've been thinking over this whole missions thing. Weeks ago, I just wanted to know where I was going. I remember telling Jesus (and it's probably written somewhere in a blog) that if I just know where I'm going I will let Him deal with all the other worries. Well I know where I'm going, but now I want to know when, and I want to know more details, and I want to know what support raising both through prayer and finances is going to look like. And then Mark went on one of his amazing rants where he said, "God has a definite plan...". We are called to live by faith, we can look in the rear view mirror as he called it, and see how God pieced together the perfect plan so far, but the future is still in His hands. What curves, hills and valleys that are up ahead are no surprise to Jesus and He has it all mapped out for good.


I'm glad I can turn to Him in this struggle. And I want to write it out so that I can look back and see that this time of struggle can be used to see how clearly He is working in this moment, even though I can't see it right now. He is working out His plan, He is putting all the pieces together, and He is looking out for the good of His kingdom.


Jesus, my hope and my faith lie in your hands. For it is through those hands that I was created. And it is through those hands that mountains move so that your kingdom is furthered. Thank you Jesus for what You did for me and the redemption that I have in You because of your death and resurrection. Thank you Jesus for the work You have done in my life up to this point and I praise You for the work that will be done in the future. You, Jesus, are my hope. Thank you that I cannot find hope in anything but in You. Help me Jesus to place my faith and trust in You in every circumstance, with every twist and turn that is ahead, with each moment that You give me to honor and glorify Your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...