Saturday, August 3, 2013

a piece of cake!

Overall I have adjusted very well to the food here and actually have made many comforts from home through the week that have kept me full... scrambled eggs & toast, top roman and garlic toast, and my favorite so far, cinnamon sugar toast! (first week in Kenya post to come)
 
However, last night I got this HUGE craving for cake, specifically funfetti cake! Actually I think it came from making my wish list of things I'm missing from home. So I found a recipe, went back to the store this morning with my roomie for a few more things, came home and we have a Homemade Funfetti Cake! (recipe below)

Ingredients from the grocery
tasting piece
 Oh I just can't believe it! It's a bit more brown because the sugar here is not white but it tastes pretty good for my first time baking from scratch here... and I'm not the best at home either. Oh how I look forward to the box mix!

And while I was waiting for the cake to cook... I brought out the quacamole! Here's a picture of my quacamole. It's amazing! I may eat the whole thing by myself, it's that good!

Quacamole Recipe
1 Avocado smashed
1 small tomato diced
1/2 small red onion diced
a few shakes of garlic powder & pepper


Funfetti Cake Mix Recipe adapted from sally's baking addiction
· 1 and 2/3 cup (210 grams) all-purpose flour 
· 1/2-teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4-teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2-teaspoon salt
· 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
· 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
· 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) unsalted butter, melted
· 1 large egg
· 1/4 cup (60 grams) vanilla yogurt
· 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk 
· 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
· 2/3 cup sprinkles

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees (177 celcius). Spray a 9-inch springform or baking pan (round or square) with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars vigorously getting out any brown sugar lumps - mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color.
3. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (loosely to avoid the top from sticking to the foil). Bake for 13-17 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...