Friday, August 23, 2013

Recap time in Nairobi w/ pictures

Here are some of the pictures I've taken during my time in Nairobi, Kenya.

Driving through the Kibera slum during my city tour.
A housing/market structure in the Kibera slum.
Within 10 minutes after leaving the slum we were in Nairobi's city centre.
High rises, lots of cars and streetlights!
View of the city centre from a look out point. 
Here begins a walking road tour to where I have gotten most of my groceries
as well as walked most days in the morning to go to prayer. Here's the first street
I walk down.
I turn right off the last street and now I'm on this one.
It kinda steeps down and then back up and then I've hit
one of the main roads in this part of town. This is the "sidewalk"
portion where people walk.

I turn left and here's the next street. The main shopping center is about
2 blocks up on the right. It's a mall like at home; it has a grocery store,
vegetable market, book store, bible book store, food court, and really
anything else you might need.
Here's my home on the compound. There are 2 other buildings,
each having 5-6 homes. My bedroom is the large window on the
second floor. I'm writing this blog post in the front room through the
bottom window :)
Here's my bedroom. It's the master so I also have my own bathroom
and shower attached. I sleep on the closest bed and definitely use that
net above me!
Meet Wambui! Her and I have spent the last 3 weeks together each day!
She has had so much patience with me and makes sure I pronounce
everything correctly. I love seeing that smile when I say something right!
Here I was practicing my numbers and colors. I had an audio recording
of Wambui's voice, I would listen and point to the correct paper. Then I would
try to say it with her recorded voice, the I would mix up the papers, listen and try to find it,
and finally I would try to say it without the audio recording. Then repeat the
process until I knew it well!
My highlight from my time in Nairobi was visiting the Uzima children's
home on one Saturday. This beautiful face is Faith.
Destiny, Faith and I were out running around on the
field while someone snapped our picture. Their faces
are precious!
Faith found a "kijiko" on the side of the road. When she showed
it to me and I said, "kijiko", her face lit up! kijiko = spoon :)
This is the only picture I have of my roommate, Jessika and I together.
I have enjoyed getting to know her and going to miss our late night
conversations and her awesome facial expressions when she would walk
through the door each day. She's awesome!
And now some of the baking pictures! Funfetti cake from scratch :)
Banana oatmeal muffins with a crumb topping... these were amazing!
My first attempt at cinnamon rolls...
Haha I couldn't snap a picture fast enough... these are snickerdoodle
blondies. Oh my they were good!
Banana oatmeal cookies made with no butter! (Butter is very expensive
here so I found out that bananas can be used as a substitute)
Thursday was Wambui's birthday so I had to make a cake! Here is
my second go around of the funfetti cake, but this time I used bananas
instead of butter and you can't even taste them! She loved it!
One of the first things Wambui taught me was how to make Kenyan Chai.
,I don't think I'll go back to Starbucks... this stuff is awesome... and it's
completely normal to add cinnamon to the milk and water! A teapot
will need to live with me wherever I go now :)
I've gone out to eat Kenyan food twice. Here was my second experience
at a "very nice" restaurant. We had our own private room, we sat on benches
around this table, the 2 kg of meat leg was cooked overnight and then cut
off the bone in front of us. This entire meal was eaten with our hands, no
utensils dirtied! Also on the table is Ugali and salsa to eat with the goat meat.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! You took pics and put them in a post!! Keep doing this...I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...