Saturday, September 7, 2013

Embracing village life

I am embracing the lack of internet! Through the Bible, books I’m reading, and even comments from home that I can get through my email and FB on my Kenyan phone I’m reminded that internet = distraction from the ministry around me. But the many trips to Kilifi this week weren’t a waste! I went Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all to try to solve the internet issue. Each time I learned a new place to get something, met a new person, and just got comfortable being in Kilifi. I have the route memorized using buildings along the road and large trees to let me know how close or far we are away. I also know the stops the matatu will make once it enters Kilifi before I should get out. Mama Mary is who I go see if I need to buy fruits and vegetables and she is very willing to help me with my Swahili. I know where to go to get the matatu and how much to pay for each trip. I shake my head at people, but don’t make eye contact, when I hear, “Mzungo! Mzungo!” and just keep walking. Overall it’s a cute little city and has ocean views!


 Friday I went back to Kilifi with my Kenyan Mama to look for some thin shirts to wear here. After washing my t-shirts (and my Kenyan Mama did most the work J) we decided I needed a few “Kenyan” shirts to 1. Be cooler and 2. They are easier to wash! Success! I also got two more lesso’s to wear… I love them! I’ve gotten very comfortable wearing long skirts. I think it may feel weird to wear restricted pants on my legs again… and skirts make it way easier to go to the bathroom over a hole in the ground! Another thing I’m embracing!

This Sunday I will travel down to Mombasa with my Kenyan Father to attend an AIC church there. He is scheduled to speak and I get to go with him! Afterwards I will take a matatu back to my village on my own and he will go to visit his brother. I’m looking forward to seeing Mombasa and getting comfortable with another city along the coast. I actually enjoy doing things without them right next to me because I’m more able to use my Swahili. A lot of people along the coast do know English, especially in the shops, but those in the village where I’m living really don’t.

My free time this last week has been spent with the kiddos! They love having their picture taken! Here are a few attempts… you can see the pushing and shoving being done!


And Friday night, here was where my evening was spent… so beautiful in so many ways!



God is so good and faithful! He provides only what I need and I’m embracing what He has provided! There are amazing people here that I get to live life with and the kids make my heart melt! I love when I come home, I barely get out of the matatu and the kids are yelling from across the street, “Daniella! Daniella!” I’m getting their names down and each time I get it right their face lights up! There are well over 100 names I’m trying to get so when I do get it right they love it… and I do too! I am forced to use my Swahili around the kids and it is coming along great! I usually say something and then continue with “ndiyo/hapana” yes or no. Here are some pictures from one of my language lessons this last week.

It started out as a pretty small group.

This is one of the story pictures; all the pictures on the
table are objects and such I have learned in Swahili
and was reviewing with the kiddos.

In action. If you can tell there are a few pictures in my face. They would stick
many different ones and bring them closer until I said it.

I was focused!

The group at the end!
Such a great week! Can't wait for what this next week holds... School starts Monday, your prayers are greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. What does Mzungo mean? Love you. We are getting a package ready for you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you friend! I'm glad you are doing so well! It makes my heart happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...