Thursday, September 26, 2013

seeing beyond the challenges

Over the past few weeks, I have really enjoyed getting used to village life. There are many things that could be seen as challenges (squatty potty, no running water, cold bucket showers, bug bites, dirt everywhere, no internet, not eating supper til 8pm, and of course the language barrier) but God has given me a spirit of embracing the life I get to live in the village! As I scanned my journal from the last few weeks I noticed a recurring theme. At the end of each day I praised the Lord for another day that I didn't think could top the day before. So many times throughout my days I wish I could capture the conversations, relaxed lifestyle and all the smiles and laughs and enable each and everyone of you a chance to experience it, even for just a day!

Since I can't transport you all here, I will do my best to bring you into my world through pictures. Here are some of the things I'm embracing and loving by getting to live in a village!

School
As part of each lesson, the kids are chosen to come up and participate to show they are retaining what is being taught. Dama uses a stick to match 4 triangles with the number 4. When she did it correctly we break out into song, "Well done well done try again another day, a very good girl, a very good girl, keep it up keep it up!" I love the positive reinforcement.
Once the upfront lesson is done, the kids are given something to write or draw in their books. Here, the teacher I team teach with, Salena, is grading the work of Joel & Jimmy.
Who needs a desk? Sweet Evelyn finds her spot on the floor right in front of me and does her best to complete what has been asked of the class. She is one of the many who doesn't understand my English at all... but as soon as I speak Swahili, she responds with a big smile and is excited to complete what I've asked of her.
Emily & Pili are enjoying break time and a cup of porridge (uge in swahili). Break time is about 30-45 each day. The kids are allowed to run around for a bit and then called together to drink a cup of uge. For some kids, this may be their only meal of the day. The two teachers, Salena & Elizabeth, and I enjoy a cup of uge each day after the kids have been served. It's made with corn flour and water and heated until it gets to a porridge consistency... and it's actually quite tasty!
Shamba work
On more than one occasion, the kids and adults of the church have come together to help take care of the Shamba (I think the English word is garden or field lol). This particular day the kids were given tools to cut the weeds and trees that had overtaken the field so that donated trees could be planted. These people are hardworking! After I put the camera down I was given a panga (big knife) and did some whacking down of plants myself, however, I found the best job for me was going through and picking up what others had cut down and carrying it to the pile!
Samuel begged me to take his picture! I told him "unafanya na nitataka picha" - you work and I will take your picture. Samuel lives off the dirt road that I take to get from my house to the main road and he spends most of his days on our property. He is in the school where I teach but in the other class. He is just a fun kiddo to be around!
Every afternoon you will find Peter (black and red shirt) and Shadrach out in the Shamba tending to the sukuma, spinach, and most recently, the mchicha...my favorite! I usually help by carrying water back and forth or walking around with a pitcher and helping to water. Within a few weeks we won't have to buy these three things in town, we will just walk out to the Shamba and pick them!
I mentioned above that we spent an afternoon clearing some of our fields to prepare for tree planting. Well I got to plant my very own tree! I mixed the dried manure with the soil, carefully placed the tree down into the hole, and in this picture I am packing the soil/manure mixture around the tree. In approximately three years the Church in Chumani will be able to eat mangos off this very tree!
I'm a proud planter! A few days later I got to help plant about 10 more during our school time. We encouraged the kids to help participate and I even let a few get down in the hole, place the tree and pack the soil/manure mixture around it. For these kids, this is a lifelong skill!
Relationships with kids
I've mentioned before that I absolutely love when I step off the matatu (returning from a food run to Kilifi or a visit to Malindi) I hear chorus' of "Daniella! Daniella!" from the kids. Here are three proud carriers of my things as we walked back to my home. From left to right is Amos, Annette & Agnus. They smile and giggle and fight to hold my two hands as we make the 200 yd or so walk back.
Eating with my hands delicious food!
When served ugali it's just not right to use a spoon. On my plate is also mchicha (my favorite greens) and mbuzi (goat). You see the spoon in the corner of the picture? That was used as a knife to cut the ugali... everyone ate with their hands for this meal. And unless we are served rice I eat with my hands. (I also must note that I'm currently writing this post in Nairobi where there are lots of food options available to cook but I'm eating wali and mdengu (rice & green grams! I think I belong in village life)
Afternoon spent outside
Every afternoon a serious game of soccer (football as they call it here) is played out on the field about 20 yards from my front porch. Anywhere from 20 to 50 kids come and it's intense! I usually sit off to the side and take pictures or practice my swahili with those who aren't playing. This is one of my favorite parts about living in a village; these kids are active outside running around and I get to be apart!
God's protection from sickness
And let me tell you what you can't see going on is there is no air conditioning system in this butchery or where the meat is stored. No gloves or hand washing has been done. Who knows when the last time the knife, cutting or weighing surface has been washed and the smell! I have to give God all the glory because it can only be because of Him that I haven't gotten sick at all! My family washes all their vegetables with tap water (aka dirty water) and I have gotten in trouble a few times because I haven't "washed my hands"...with the dirty water before eating. A few times I have come from my room and I just sit down. They immediately ask, "have you washed your hands?" and my response is, "with soap!" we all laugh but inside all I'm thinking is, we should all be doing so!
And lastly, I think this picture summarizes village life in every possible way.
Surrender. Freedom. Friendships. Hardworking hands. Peace. Joy. Community. and God's love. 
I hope I was able to give you a small glimpse into why I can say I love village life so very much! Admist the challenges there is way more to praise God for that they quickly fade into the background. These kids have it so much worse than even I do and yet their smiles and joy they carry shows that happiness doesn't stem from money or electricity or television. They are rich in so many ways and I am beyond blessed to get to live amongst them and share life with them. 

Back row: Pili, Emily & Samuel.
Front: Alex

6 comments:

  1. Sweet Danielle, simply in awe. Thank you for sharing this latest update, I cannot put into words what God is doing through you, it's all His hands and for His glory. Hugs and love to you, Fadia and kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle! so great to hear the details of life in the village. We are praying for you, with you, and praising the Lord for His Name being known.
    We love you!
    Caren, Lilly and Judah

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...I NEED that pic of the boy worshiping! Seriously...I want to print it and frame it. I love it. I love how much you love the village life. I kinda feel like you've found your home. Love & miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely email you that picture. I have another cute one of a girl praying, her hands are folded and her eyes are squeezed shut... it's precious! The village feels like home in so many ways it's hard to describe but those are exactly the words I use when I talk about it... "home". Love & miss you too! Can't wait to skype!!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing Danielle... God is good and you will forever be changed after this experience. I would love to experience a mission trip at some point in my life. Praying for you and all the lives you touch. May God bless you (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Danielle! These are great pictures of village life. Thanks for taking them... and thanks for posting them... I can tell that you love village life. And that you are making great progress in talking Swahilia with the kids. Thanks for your effort to love the life there. You are an amazing woman...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...