Sunday, January 19, 2014

just another transition

Fact: I’ve been in Nairobi for almost 2 months.
Fact: I had a ticket to go back to the village on Dec 19th… I stayed for Christmas.
Fact: I had a ticket to go back to the village on Jan 2nd… I got food poisoning.
Fact: God’s timing is perfect.
Fact: I’m so excited to hug all my adopted family and friends in the village again.
Fact: It’s not going to be easy to say goodbye to relationships here or the routine I’ve created.

I’ve had a great time in Nairobi working on a visual bible project for the kiddos in the village, studying up on my Swahili a bit more, and praying as God’s perfect plans and purposes unfolded. My time has also included visiting the children’s home again, a few trips to the used clothing (and anything else you can think of) market, a day at the men’s rehab center, and lots and lots of exercise!!

God has been teaching me so much about patience in the waiting. Everything that I read, songs I hear, pictures I see all seem to have the same message… wait on Me. Wait on my perfect plan, timing and peace. In just a few hours I will board the bus, travel some 10 hours and with God’s protection arrive safely in the village around 5pm Monday afternoon. Oh I can’t wait to see all those beautiful faces again!

But as I once again pack up my room, put the limited amount of stuff to my name in a small suitcase and backpack, I can’t help but hope that I can settle into home in the village quickly and only come to Nairobi for short visits from now on!

I have to admit, these last six months of going back and forth have been difficult. Coming to Nairobi, saying bye to my friends in the village, planning to be back in a few days or a few weeks, and then not being able to leave when I want has been hard on my heart. When I’m away, I miss my routine of bible study when I wake up, teaching or hanging out with the kids in the morning, more hanging out in the afternoon and speaking a lot of swahili, helping to prepare dinner, singing Kiswahili hymns and then eating Kenyan food for dinner around 8:30pm. It’s what I prepared to do before I came and it will be so good to get back to it so very soon!

And you know what’s even more crazy… I also miss cold bucket showers, my lizard friend by the hole in the ground toilet who dashes up the wall every time I come in, all my spider friends in my room who help keep the mosquitos quiet at night, and the dirt that covers my body through out the day that reminds me that I get to call a village home.

If all goes as planned, I will get to remain in the village until April! Being on a year around schedule here we are in school January-March and then have the month of April off. I will spend at least two weeks in Nairobi during that time for a conference and a small break from village life. Before I close my eyes for a few hours of sleep, I thought I would give you a few things you can be praying on my behalf for:

*Smooth transition back into life in the village and a feeling of being “settled” there…finally!
*Swahili to come back to the forefront, as I step back into the classroom on Tuesday.
*Small group for the young women in the village to come together so we can dig a little deeper into God’s word together.
*Sensitive to the Holy Spirits leading to opportunities to share the gospel with the kids I teach and hang out with on a daily basis.

So excited to be able to share this journey with each and every one of you! I look forward to sharing some fun stories in the coming days, as I know God loves to keep me on my toes! Don’t hesitate to email me, I love to hear from you!

Love,
Daniella

Some of my friends from Nairobi 
The girls after our nightly exercise routine!

At the rehab center. Such an encouraging and therapeutic day for all of us!

Can't wait to walk this long dirt road home again.

1 comment:

  1. Excited for you because I know it's where your heart is prepared to be! Thankful for your obedience in the trials of learning patience!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...