Monday, November 14, 2011

SIM App/Home Church Communication Update

So as I glance thru the last couple posts, and I realize I have not kept up with what has been going on as far as connecting with the organization and my home church.

Oct 28, 2011 (Friday)- Phone interview w/ Cindy Ely, discussed what SIM International (organization) is all about. Got a lot of questions answered regarding short-term versus long term options and trainings that go with those. From this conversation, I learned that SIM wants me to qualify to serve and seems very supportive.

Oct 28, 2011 (Friday)- Submitted my preliminary application. Basic information as well as basic missionary goals.

Nov 7, 2011 (Monday)- Received email with link of full application for SIM. Everything from basic information, family, health, what I believe, experiences, short job resume, education, christian convictions, personal growth and references were included in that application.

Nov 9, 2011 (Wednesday)- Met with Mark Dalton (director of missions at Shadow Mountain). Discussed possibly locations to serve, what my timeline looks like, how SIM and Shadow will support me together and in how those ways are different. We discussed me taking a World Christian Movement class beginning in January. I need to find out how many units of Bible are required. I need to connect with Tom Pitman with the college and see about taking some bible courses online possibly and Mark is working on getting a mentor who has experience on the missions field and is willing to meet with me, discuss and pray about what God is doing in my life as it pertains to missions. I left this meeting feeling very encouraged and a little stressed with all that is to come.

 Nov 11, 2011 (Friday)- Received an email from Mark. He had emailed a couple who serves with SIM who are supported by Shadow. Their email is below. (His reaction)-"Sounds like you would be in great hands to work with this organization. I rather like the international missionary force they have."

Nov 14, 2011 (Monday)- Application submitted!
I am so excited to have pressed the submit button and allow God to continue to move in my life and direct my ways. I took a few days to gather the information for the application and was able to get references information together. I took one last read thru and off it went. I'm excited to see what God does next, however I know I must remain patient. In a way I thank Him for the busyness of the week to come. Getting together with friends, difficult days and long hours of week lead to what could be a very draining week. I go into it with little energy of my own. I have not had a day of rest since I was sick, a week an a half ago. But I know God will pull me through and I truely cherish these moments of busyness with friends knowing that a time is to come where I will not be able to as easily.
God, I come to you tonight with requests knowing full well that I desire nothing more than your will to be done. I also know as the quote from the song goes; "Some of [Your] greatest gifts are unanswered prayers". God I feel alone. I have many friends who have come alongside and are willing to pray with me through these times, spend time with me, and give of themselves. As I prayed that prayer Saturday night, the next thing I heard from Pastor J's mouth was how Old Testament missionaries did their work alone. I felt that as an answer, that at this time there isn't going to be someone as I desire there to be, that will walk physically beside me, other than Jesus. Therefore the words I began this prayer with I will now end with; Father God, not my will but yours be done.
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.
Email from SIM missionaries: 
“We think SIM has a lot of strengths and more than one weakness! One of our strengths is that we are 118 years old. And that is one of our weaknesses. SIM is a church planting mission and one of the top in outreach to Muslims. We emphasize discipline both by and for the missionary and that works with varying degrees of effectiveness around the world.
There are over 1800 of us plus 100s of retirees. Another of our strengths is that we are a multi-national, multi-ethnic mission. And that is another of our challenges. We come from everywhere and work in Asia, Africa and South America. In fact, I (Phyllis) leave in 10 days for Thailand to do my fourth workshop for missionaries on how to thrive on a multi-cultural team. Fascinating. But we don't have it all figured out.
SIM is what we call a full service mission. We have excellent member care: medical (including evacuation insurance), relational, ministry encouragement and accountability, and have in place formats for spiritual growth and renewal including a Spiritual Life Conference on every field every year. Over the years, SIM has been roughly 1/3 men and 2/3 women, so single women have a significant impact on the organization and the goal is that they be supported and helped and cared for. I cannot promise that always happens, but I’ve had discussions in days long gone by about the way that the single women seem to be more significant and cared for than we married ones. But I’ve not suffered either.
We sit about the middle, last we knew, in the list of faith based organizations, in support requirements. Neither the highest nor the lowest support requirement. There is flexibility for missionaries to decide what their salary will be, based on their living situation. There's a huge difference between urban and rural living in many countries, as I’m sure you know. If things are still as they were a few years ago, the average salary portion of a missionary's support is about 45%. There is a list, Danielle can ask for it, which tells where each dollar of her support goes including both halves of social security, medical insurance, administration, etc. I just read today that in the last 20 years, the average American male salary has increased 3% and medical insurance has increased 182%. SIM is also run from the local level, that is, field decisions are made on the field, usually resulting in more administrative costs than if everything were done from the home offices. But we feel that is an important principle to practice. And it definitely results in better member care.
These days, as an organization, we are finding ways to simplify things given the amazing impact of technology. Cindy Ely is the woman who has been talking to Danielle and she was very impressed with her in their conversation. She said she sounds like a good fit for SIM. As Cindy and Danielle prayerfully move forward in the application process, I'm sure the Lord will make it clear to them and others if we are the organization with whom she should align herself. But it sounds like SIM will win if she does.
As I read this, I think it almost sounds like a marketing piece. That was not the intention. But we are, for the most part, very pleased for all these years to have been part of SIM and God continues to use it.”

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...