Friday, December 7, 2012

breaking the barriers of “fund” raising

When God began to seriously open doors to Missions, I have to admit the part I feared the most was raising support. I have no fear about getting on a plane and traveling hundreds of miles to an unknown culture, a different language and for who knows how long. But depending on other people’s hard earned funds to go towards “my” ministry… that just seemed wrong. How wrong my thinking was!
About a week ago I began a book by Betty Barnett called “Friend Raising: Building a missionary support team that lasts”. Between my training with SIM and her book, my whole idea of raising support is completely different. I now am very comfortable sharing about my ministry needs, which include both prayer and finances.

Fund. I don’t really like the word because it implies that it’s about money. This ministry is not about money, it’s about people, it’s about Jesus and seeing people know Him. Instead, I like to use the word SUPPORT. Support implies more than just finances, it’s about a group of people, invested in something, who pray for and give towards a goal. What is our goal, to bring the gospel of Christ to the nations (Matt. 28:19). We are all striving towards one goal. I’m so glad I’m not in this alone.

So here it is! In order to buy my plane ticket I must have 100% of my one time needs and 80%(or more) of my monthly support pledged. I have a faith departure date/week of July 22-26th in order to do language school for the month of August and begin teaching the 1st of September.  

One time needs: $9,186.00One Time Needs
Breakdown:
27% Training, support raising, immunizations(ouch!), and language study
65% Plane ticket to Kenya, Visa, Baggage, and 1st months support
8% Housing set up & spiritual life conference





Monthly needs: $2,866.00Monthly Support
Breakdown:
49% Salary/housing (this comes directly to me each month)
14% Admin fees (encouragement, processes donations, books my tickets, did I mention encouragement? and so much more!)
10% Ministry Needs (school supplies, travel to school, security)
12% Medical Insurance
11% Taxes
4% Retirement

The numbers may seem high to you, but as I was given the breakdown during my finance meeting at SIMGo, it was amazing the peace that I had knowing this was God’s money. I have complete trust that He will nudge hearts to give to this amazing ministry in Kenya. I feel so honored that He is entrusting me with these resources.

What has gotten me to this point? The way He has proven His faithfulness in the past. One clear example I remember well was about 3-4 years ago, I lost my nanny job after the father lost his and I filled my time looking for jobs and volunteering at church. Just when I thought, this is the month, I do not have enough money to pay my bills, God provided a job, a job that provided just enough money, literally down to the dollar, to pay my bills for that month. And since that month, He has provided each and every time. He has abundantly blessed me and I joyfully give back to Him.

onebodymanypartsWhether by prayer or financial giving, you become just as much apart of this ministry as I am. Picture a body, God has called me to be the hands and feet, the one moving to Kenya to work directly with kids, sharing His love and truth with them. And in these next few months, He will be calling many people to be the arms, legs, stomach, heart… you get my point. And as you pray and give, you become a part of this ministry, and He promises to those who give, they will be blessed. He is building a support team of people praying, of people financially giving, and me going so that He can be glorified. 


This isn’t about money, it’s about Jesus. It’s about giving glory to God as the Holy Spirit works in people’s lives (including mine!). I pray my testimony, this journey, and my faith will bring God much glory. If any of this becomes about me, feel free to call me out. If what I say doesn't involve Jesus, I am doing something very wrong.

Thanks to many of you, kids and their families in Kenya are going to be blessed with hearing the gospel, many I pray will receive His free gift, and become brothers and sisters to each of us who have already placed our lives in His loving hands.

Is God calling you to give? Are you wanting more information about Kenya? See the links below to follow up, be obedient to Him, and together, we will get to see Him do amazing things! Once again, thanks for praying for me, for this ministry, and especially for the kids in Kenya.

To give to this ministry, click HERE. One time needs and monthly gifts are both welcome!

I would love to meet for coffee, a meal at your house, or something creative… to share more about this amazing ministry. Click HERE to email me.

Prayer Request: Pray for wisdom and obedience for me. God has asked me to continue to align my life with His plan, not the other way around, and it’s definitely teaching me what the word flexibility means. Pray that I would be in His Word often and that He would provide an answer in a very clear and decisive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...