Saturday, October 27, 2012

polluting towels

What I have been up to:

Monday night, I finished my last class of Biblical Hermeneutics. I aced my final, but more importantly I have walked away with a plethora of knowledge and tools to properly study and interpret His Word. I'm so grateful to have gotten to take this course.
Thursday night, I started another course at the Seminary, this one titled New Testament Survey on the Pauline Epistles and Hebrews. I remained awake for the 7-10pm meeting time, and gained much information from this first class on the Corinthian letters. I'm looking forward to this Thursday night where we are discussing Galatians and Ephesians. Oh and no tests in the course, hooray!
Thursday and Friday, I packed up what was my current home and moved more than 3/4 of it into boxes. They are successful stored in my parents attic and won't be touched until after I return...in 2014. The few personal items and clothes that are left are in 5 buckets where they and I will be living at my grandparents house until I leave for Kenya.
Lazy Saturday morning with my most favorite breakfast, Cinnamon rolls. This morning I cooked them to perfection, lightly brown on the bottom and gooey in the middle... oh they were SO yummy! 
I also have been working on some quiet time with God. Read through Galatians and Ephesians. Worship music has been playing in the background. Such a good morning and so needed!

One of my new favorite songs is called "Reign in us" by Starfield. Here's some of the lyrics and a link to the song.

Lord Jesus 
come lead us
we're desperate for touch.
Oh Great and Mighty One with one desire we come,
that you would reign that you would reign in us.
We're offering up our lives, a living sacrifice, 
that you would reign, that you would reign in us.
....
So reign please reign in us
come purify our hearts
we need Your touch
come cleanse us like a flood
and send us out
so the world may know You reign, You reign in us.

And then I read these versus this morning in Ephesians and felt convicted. Through this next week, I'm challenging myself to remain in these truths because it is so easy to fall into the sin of gossip and ultimately it creates pride in myself that I am better.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. -Ephesians 4:29-32

Satan and his angels have a way of discouraging God's people by allowing unwholesome talk to not only be thought, but spoken. But the Bible says we are all one in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:28) and called to carry each other's burdens (Gal 6:2). It also says in 1 Thessalonians 5:10-11 that He died for us (everyone) so that, whether we are awake (alive) or asleep (dead), we (believers) may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. Paul challenges the Thessalonians to continue to encourage and building each other up. When we think bad or talk bad about others, it is only hurting us. Our hearts and minds are becoming like a dirty towel, polluting ourselves with unwholesome things. In Jesus, we are all one, and we are all striving towards the same goal, to be one in Christ and to be more like Him. 

Finding faults is easy, that's what the Pharisee's and teachers of the Law did, they were purposely seeking to find Jesus going against the Law. But Jesus was different, He had meals with sinners, He knew people failed, and when they did, He forgave, immediately. And He still does that today. When we sin, because of the Cross, we can repent in Jesus name, and God forgives us, immediately, he washes us clean, he makes our towels without blemishes again. When we speak unwholesomely of others, we are doing nothing to live as Christ did. We are encouraged by Paul to build each other up, to talk positively of one another, and when someone sins against us, we are asked to forgive, just as Jesus does for us.
Are you holding a grudge against someone? Has someone's motives frustrated you? Or maybe they said something that hurt you? I challenge you, and myself, to let these things go. For we are all one in Christ Jesus, brothers and sisters of the promise and here on Earth there is enough sin to keep us at war. But God has asked us to live at peace with everyone (Rom 12:18). So let things go, forgive those who have wronged you, and do your best, myself included, to build one another up and encourage each other in Christ. Let's live with faith that we are children of the promise, that we have been washed clean with His blood, and that He does reign in us so that the world will see His glory. 

Jesus, please reign in me, cleanse me so that others will see your perfection, your forgiveness, and your glory. Thank you for the work you are doing in me moment by moment in bringing your truth to light so that I may live a more Godly life. Thank you Jesus for the continued peace you give me admist the busyness that has been my life these past three weeks. We have studied, learned and accomplished so much together and I thank you for helping me to sense your Spirit within me in those difficult and trying times. Holy Spirit I pray that You would continue to reign in me, continue to bring light to your truths, continue to prepare me for the amazing ministry that you have put in front of me, and continue to show me your grace and mercy. I look forward to all that you have for me today and wait in eager anticipation for your coming. In the waiting, grant me your peace and forgiveness so that I can live a life worthy of Your Name and one in service for Your Kingdom. In Your name Jesus I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...