Friday, November 2, 2012

Satan's Scheming

I’m actually writing this Thursday night, it’s 10:50pm right now as I begin but it this will probably get posted sometime tomorrow when I get to a location that has wireless internet, I think God is preparing me

Anyway, the titled of this post is called ‘Satan’s Scheming’ for a reason. Today has just been one of those days. Yesterday I worked an almost 14hour day, on my feet for all but 30 minutes, but so worth it. However, my not so smart self planned a meeting for 8:30 this morning, last week. So I dragged myself out of bed at the last possible second, messed up my breakfast, and realized I was unprepared for my meeting. I made it though, no breakfast, but material read, left the meeting and felt like a walking zombie…and looked like one too. I had to finish up some projects at work, and by almost 2pm, I finished.

This is really where it all begins… I had class tonight, and didn’t think to grab my books this morning so I came home to get them. I remember looking at my backpack but thinking, “I don’t need my computer for this class”…so I left it. Said hi and bye and left to go meet up with the two best friends anyone could have. Lots of laughter and good food and coffee, so lovely! As the time came for me to leave, Satan began to question me by saying, “You don’t have to go to class, it’s technically optionally, you should stay with your friends and spend as much time as you can with them, and it will probably be more fun anyway…” the thoughts continue but I decided, no, I’m going to miss two classes in the next two weeks by being out of town so I need to go tonight. So I said my goodbyes and left.

I began driving towards the freeway and quickly realized, “my notes are in my backpack!”… I began rationalizing writing notes, but the professor last week handed out close to 100pages of typed notes that we are to go off of during class. And, last week, he assigned class work in it and I was going to be presenting my findings tonight. At this point, I’m now not only trying to figure out if I should drive all the way home to get my notes, but if I should go to class anyway. I’m exhausted, it might just be better if I go home and sleep. At this point, I choose to drive home and get my notes, but I’m slowly watching the time click by, really not wanting to be late. Debating, go to school, or not…I know, I’ll see what time it is when I get home and decide then. 15 minutes to spare, I can get to school in 15 minutes, only with God’s help and calm nerves.

I did it, I pulled into the school at 7:00pm sharp. At this point I’m now really nervous that I’m going to get in trouble for being late. These seminary professor’s like to get started right on time. Of course, I hike the stairs, walk the what seems like forever walkway, up more stairs, and into class…quietly…they’re opening class in prayer. I slide into the far side of the room, one of the only chairs left, and quietly sit down, backpack still on, and my heart pounding out of my chest (for being late and the stairs…I need exercise). “Amen”…Professor then quickly turns, writes something on the board, turns around and goes, “Oh Danielle, it’s like an angel appeared”… I was expecting to get scolded for being late, but no, I get called an angel.

To recap so far, I’ve debated with Satan’s help whether to stay with my friends or go to class, leave my notes at home or go get them, stay home because I’m tired or go because I’m going to be missing the next two classes, stay home because I’m going to be late or go and trust God I can get there on time.

And so far, I’ve chosen to go to class (over friends), go get my notes, go to class again (over tiredness), and go to class again (over time constraint).

Through prayers and coffee, I awoke enough to focus at class, and I’m so glad I did because we had a great discussion finishing up 1st Corinthians and beginning 2nd Corinthians.

This is the best part for me. (I’m auditing this class so absentees and assignments turned in don’t really matter.) At the end of class, I remind my professor that even though it doesn’t matter, that I wanted to let him know I won’t be there for the next two sessions because I will be at mission’s training. He looks at me and goes, “It does matter you won’t be here, we’re going to miss you.” He then goes on to ask exactly what I’m going to be doing both in NC and in Kenya and then asks a fellow classmate and parent in Children’s Ministry to pray for me. It was as He closed, I thanked him, said my goodbyes and walked out the door that I realized how Satan had been scheming all day to persuade me not to go and by remaining faithful to what God had asked me to do; I was blessed more than I could have ever thought of.

In so many ways, I see how this lesson will be so helpful in the days, months and years to come as I obediently follow what God has called and asked me to do for Him and His Kingdom and for His glory. Satan doesn’t like the fact that I am on a mission to spread the good news of Christ’s death and resurrection. He’s going to try to work in my thoughts, in my environment, and in any other way he can, to pull me away from the call and ultimately blessings that God has for me. Today was a reminder to me of just how real and alive and active Satan is. But it also reminded me that God has asked us to be faithful in small things, and when we are faithful with the small things, He will put together the pieces to accomplish the big things. He’s called me to walk this life with Him, to accomplish the tasks He has asked me to do today, and not to worry about all the to-do’s of tomorrow. When we keep our eyes, hearts, and minds on our God, He will help us to make the right decisions, and when we make a lot of small right decisions, He puts them together as more pieces of the puzzle which is His Kingdom’s Will.

Today is not the first time Satan is going to try to get his way, but I’m going to bed overly encouraged that my God is with me always, He is more powerful than any scheme of Satan, and that ultimately, everything I do, is for two purposes: to further His Kingdom and to bring Glory to His Name.

Your Love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...