Sunday, November 4, 2012

SIMGo... the beginning

The overnight flight was nice, but I didn't realize that almost half the traveling time was at the Atlanta airport. I slept okay on the plane, in the airport not so much. Coming into SIMGO, I felt exhausted. But I did the best I could to make since of my language and asked everyone about 5 times where they were headed. I finally started telling people, "I'm sorry, I'll stop asking and just start over tomorrow". Today was a much better day!

However, yesterday, after lunch, my first appointment was to the medical office. I got 3 shots, an update on TDP and rabies in one arm and Hepatitis A&B in the other. A few hours later it hurt to put on my sweatshirt. So sad... my next appointment is Wednesday. I'm also taking orally Typhoid. It's very normal to get nauseated after taking and I was recommended to take it right before bed. I did, and then laid there for close to an hour worrying if the nausea was going to set in... Praise Jesus it never did and I slept great!!! 

It has been so amazing connecting with missions minded people again. The people are so incredibly encouraging and I know I have made many life-long friends. This morning I went for a walk through the beautiful woods with a new friend I have made and it was cool to talk through struggles and know that she shares many of the same ones. Our past experiences are very similar and our fears match up. I know that as I continue to walk this journey to Kenya, she will be someone I lean on to walk through it and gain encouragement from. Everyone has such a heart for God and desiring to do His will. 

Today, we had church service this morning at 10am, and not only did I get to sleep in until 8:15am, normally 6am, but I got to wear cute clothes!!! No words can fully express how excited I was; I meant to take a picture but I forgot. I have no proof but I will next weekend for sure! After church, a few of us went on a short walk through the woods; the colors are amazing, orange, reds, oh it was gorgeous. As we were walking and talking, a herd of deer ran right in front of us, it so was cool!! We made it back in time for lunch. After lunch, 14 of us adults plus one baby went on a hike up Crowders Mountain (seep picture below). The view was indescribable. We came back, got some money and went and had Cuban food. White bean soup, delish! 

No words can describe just how fun we had driving to these two places. Caravaning was an adventure going  barely 55 mph waiting for a white van, missing the turn and waiting 10 minutes for the white van again, misunderstanding phone communications and so much more. We all decided it was God teaching us all a lesson about being flexible, communicated well and working together. Eventually we all made it up the hill, got our picture and back down with no problems. 

After food, we went another adventure to Walmart. I now have cinnamon coffee creamer in my refrigerator... I'm offically "home"! We are now hanging out in the main living area. Our conversations are quite hilarious, someone actually just made a comment about it :) These people are so incredible. 

Tomorrow begins with lots of classes and meetings in the afternoon. I know it will be a lot of information but with this amazing group of people, I know we will keep ourselves entertained to the fullest extent. Please pray for these days, that the information that is given to me will sink in, that I will get many questions that I have answered, and most importantly, that I will know Jesus more. I'm doing this all for Him and being here reminds me just strong this calling really is and how excited I am to fulfill it. God is so good!

Crowder Mountain 11.4.12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...