Monday, November 12, 2012

SIMGo: My Testimony

This morning, I got to present my missions testimony to the home staff of SIM, the board of governors, and fellow SIMGo participants. It was such a great experience where I got to share my heart about kids and the passion that God is giving me to go to Kenya. I was so encouraged by all the prayers of those here as well as those at home. I have included my testimony below as well as as a link titled, My Testimony on my blog page.


Sharing the love of Christ by partnering with local teachers to educate children in Kenya.

Why Missions?
My journey begins with a short term trip to Romania in 2010. A dear friend asked if I would accompany her on a 10 day trip to bring a little girl back to the states for medical surgeries. While I was there, I experienced what a 3rd world hospital looks like, I walked the hallways of an orphanage where she lived, and ultimately left with a heart that knew I needed to live out the great commission. It was this trip that God opened my eyes to the fact that He has equipped me with abilities that can make an impact on the lives of children and families around the world.

Why kids?
God has given me this passion for teaching kids about Jesus and allowing them to experience Him in a very real and age appropriate way. This princess from Romania has been a constant reminder to me that I need to continue to pursue world missions and that He is preparing me through her, to relate to kids of a different language and those who did not grow up in the best of circumstances.

Why SIM?
Last summer, after a 6 month period of trying to do my own plans and failing, God led me to my knees and put world missions back on my mind. That night, I began looking at different missions organizations and when I saw SIM’s website I just knew they were who I was going to partner with. I sent in my preliminary application that night and prayed asking God to open the door wide or close it shut. Since then, God has continued to answer that prayer with open doors.

Why Kenya?
When I was at SIMStart in May of 2012, I had everyone praying, helping me discover where God wanted me to go. I had it down to Nigeria & Kenya, both as orphanage worker positions. Right before I went in for my exit interview, I got a text message in a different language. I checked google translator and it was the Swahili word for good luck. 10 weeks after SIMStart, God worked out the details to switch my PRF(job description) from orphanage worker to a created position that was so specific to me, only He could have orchestrated it. 

So with the education I have and the passion and giftings He has given me, I will be going to Kenya, prayerfully next July, to get the opportunity to share the love of Jesus by partnering with local teachers to educate children in Kenya. I will be teaching classes in art, life skills, sports and Bible to primary and secondary age children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...