Friday, April 26, 2013

my first taste

Not only was yesterday 90 days before I leave(eek!), it was also just a few days before my 25th birthday(eek! as well!). I ended up having the evening free so I called Laura and she was up for trying out Flavors of East Africa with me! What an experience, some I loved, others I ha...will need to get used to, but overall I think it was a great start. Here's what we enjo... ate :) 

Appetizer 
Bhajia: Sliced potato dipped in lentil batter and deep fried, served with creamy dipping sauce.
I really liked these! Kenyan take on a potato skin. 

Gingerized Pineapple Lemonade
"In Africa, drinking 100% natural Ginger juice blend with other fruits daily is a custom." I definitely approve...and look forward to hopefully... this daily custom!

My choice...
 Choma (roasted) - safari chicken with Biringanya (chopped eggplant in a creamy tomato-based sauce with spices) and Ugali (steamed white corn flour mash)
I would eat it again if it was the only thing in front of me (which will most likely happen in about 3 months), but when I have the choice, I will try something new!

Laura's options...
Keema Beef (ground beef seasoned in our unique African spices) with Wali (rice) and  Nyoyo (hominy, kidney, potatoes and carrots cooked in olived oil with garlic, tomatoes, and onions)
I only tried a bite of everything on her plate, definitely did not like the rice (it had too much of some spice), the beans were ok, and the meat...hmm.. I think I liked it better than my chicken.

Thanks for joining me Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...