Friday, May 3, 2013

Flavors of East Africa: bday edition

Mbuzi Choma (goat meat) my brother and I shared... a staple
in Kenya according to our waiter and something I will eat often.
Sukuma Wiki (collard greens & cabbage) also on the plate.
A few days ago I celebrated turning a quarter of a century! It was a great week of celebrating, eating lots of delicious food and never enough cinnamon rolls! On my actually birthday, Laura, my Mom, and my co-workers all made or bought cinnamon rolls for me on my birthday! I can't honestly remember exactly how many I ate that day, BUT I did lose 3 lbs. from the day before, thank you Jesus!!

The night before my birthday, my parents, brothers, grandparents, Aunt, Uncle and cousins from my mom's side and I went to Flavors of East Africa to celebrate! Our waiter was a Kenyan and was awesome at helping us choose just the right meal. I think everyone really enjoyed what they got... plates were cleared. My proof above.

One of the things I loved about going with a large group was getting to go around and try all the food! Everyone was so great about letting others try a bit to see if they liked it. Some were quite brave and others hesitant, I think everyone was surprised they liked so much of everything. Many ordered a appetizer plate of Sambusa's. I never made it around to try them but everyone raved about them. My aunt and cousin had both met the waiter at the OB farmer's market selling these Sambusa's. If you are ever in the area, go get one and enjoy a little flavor of East Africa for me!

Oxtail cooked with African spices... my favorite by far! We ordered this
entry for everyone to try a bit and everyone liked it!
Oxtail... in the middle of the eating process. The best example I could
come up with for comparison of taste was a roast. Oh it just melts in
your mouth!
Chapati (African flatbread)... They eat these with everything.
Tasted a lot like a flour tortilla cooked in oil for a bit.
Gingerized Juice (for real this time... my last post was just juice)
And my bday presents from my cousins, a red velvet cupcake!
Thanks Kyle, Megan & Ashlyn!
My birthday cakes made by my amazing Mom! My favorite is funfetti,
this year however, I found a pinterest recipe for cookie dough and
funfetti cake layered together.
I ate this piece and almost a whole one of those cakes myself over
the course of the week... still lost week, thank you Jesus again!!
The fam... Nick's head got cut off and my Aunt is taking the picture
Thanks everyone for coming and celebrating with me and for the
presents! You all being there meant so much to me and I loved
getting to experience it with you!
Me and my family! Cody, Tucker, Mom & Dad. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...