Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rather call it a privilege.

Listen and hear my voice; pay attention and hear what I say. When a farmer plows for planting, does he plow continually? Does he keep on breaking up and working the soil? When he has leveled the surface, does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin? Does  he not plant wheat in its place, barley in its plot, and spelt in its field? His God instructs him and teaches him the right way. Caraway is not threshed with a sledge, nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin; caraway is beaten out with a rod, and cumin with a stick. Grain must be ground to make bread; so one dose not go on threshing it forever. The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it, but one does not use horses to grind grain. All this also comes from the LORD Almighty, whose plan is wonderful, whose wisdom is magnificent. -Isaiah 28:23-29

"Just as the farmer has the knowledge to use different operations at different times for different purposes, so God, who is and who is rational, knows how to use His wisdom and justice in dealing with nations as well as individuals." -pg 35

"Jesus said that the seed the farmer plants is the Word of God. God's part is to provide the seed; our part is to get it into the soil. God will bring the increase. "
-pg 38

"Bible expositor John Stott said that the greatest secret of missionary effectiveness is willingness to suffer death to popularity or pride or prejudice or material comfort." -pg 43

"People talk a lot about sacrifice involved in devoting my life to Africa. But can that be called a sacrifice at all if we give back to God a little of what we owe Him? Away with this word! Away with such thoughts! It is anything else but a sacrifice. Rather call it privilege." -pg 44



This chapter was so very encouraging. The more I read about missions, talk about it, learn about it, the more excited I get to be able to get to do it. I read this chapter a few days ago, and I've been clinging to a lot of the promise that were said. With the power of the Holy Spirit, He works in and through me to provide people with His love. Where that takes me, when for how long, all that comes down to the wisdom of God, and what is best for His people, all His people. I continue to pray and seek out God's wisdom in how i can be that human element to share the gospel with His people, specifically His children, in Africa.

The last quote that I wrote above is one that has struck me hard. Sacrifice versus a privilege.

Sacrifice: (v)to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else.
Privilege: (n)a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most.

A disadvantage versus a benefit. Could I really call leaving home, leaving everything I know: comfort, family friends, etc. a disadvantage? May it comes down to perspective. My perspective is, my life belongs to Jesus. I have died to this world, nothing in it should compel me to want to stay here, instead I look forward to Eternity in Heaven. So my perspective isn't on all the comforts of here or now, but rather on the glorious Kingdom and seeing souls praising the name of Jesus with me one day. What a benefit it is to get the opportunity to go t a country who speaks a different language, looks different, acts different, even eats differently, and be able to share the love of Jesus. I call it a benefit to get to learn a language, to be among people who live differently, in order to share in Christ's suffering.

A privilege. Something special, unique, given to a select few. Anyone can look at their life, with an eternal perspective, and realize their life is a privilege. We have so many blessings that God gives us and there isn't enough time in a day to thank Him for all He has given us. Sometimes we may not even see something as a blessing until later, but He see's all, all the time. For me, this time of waiting, it's a blessing. Why, because I know that God is working out the details to make sure every little thing is perfect for Me. He knows me because He created me, and He knows the desires of my heart because He placed them there, what better person to lean on than Him.

Jesus, thank you for all that you have shown me this far. Thank you for the wonderful organization that You have chosen for me to work with. Thank you for the amazing friends who have come alongside to walk this journey together. Thank you for support, both now and in the future. Most of all, thank you for You. Thank you for being the God of my life, the perfect planner and loving Father than you are who wants nothing more than to give me the desires of my heart. I seek to follow your ways, help me to remain focused on You and what You have for me this day. Jesus, help me to not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer an and petition, with thanksgiving, present all my desires and wants to You. Thank you Jesus for your ultimate sacrifice that atoned for my sins and created a way for me to have a relationship with You. Thank you God for being my loving Father, one who disciplines out of love and wants nothing more than to see His child succeed. May I look to You for wisdom and direction, guidance and compassion in all I do.

In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...