Monday, April 23, 2012

Do you Worship the Work?


Do you Worship the Work?

God’s fellow workers… -1 Corinthians 3:9

Beware of any work for God that causes or allows you to avoid concentrating on Him. A great number of Christian workers worship their work. They only concern should be their concentration on God.

We have no right to decide where we should be placed, or have preconceived ideas as to what God is preparing us to do. God engineers everything; and wherever He places us, our one supreme goal should be to pour out our lives in wholehearted devotion to Him in that particular work. (Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, April 23)

I don't even know where to start honestly. If I could just take this devotion, remember it always, I don't think I would ever be stressed. 

I love my work. I love getting to use my skills to work alongside other believers and share God's love with children and their families. I love trying to figure things out on the computer and get frustrated when a program won't do what I want it to do. I love, I love, I love.... I love Jesus. I know the jobs I have are because God has placed me in each of them to glorify His name. Is my only concern God and what He wants, or sometimes do I ask myself what needs to get done next because it sounds more fun than something else? Unfortunately, the second one is true. 

I realized that when I started doubting God's call to go to the missions field because I didn't want to leave me job, there was something wrong. I don't think it is necessary a bad thing to love what you do, and I feel quite lucky to have found what I have, but when it interfere's with God's calling, I'm afraid I have started worshiping something other than the one true God. And it was Chambers who pointed it out when he said, "we have no right to decide where we should be placed, or have preconceived ideas as to what God is preparing us to do." How often I lay at night and debate what God might be up to! I might add I have come up with some pretty good ideas! But, conviction as led me to realize that those hours trying to debate my future might have been better used focusing on who God is, what He is capable of accomplishing as well as thinking over how the plan that He has for my life has been perfect so far. And yet I still worry about tomorrow...

I believe the verse, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each days has enough worries of its own." Matthew 6:34 And the verse before that, "But seek first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33. Isn't that exactly what Chambers is saying? Seek first God and who He is and all the pieces of my future will fall into place. With my eyes on God, whatever He puts in front of me will be perfect because I have aligned who He is with who I am. So tonight I shall begin anew, eyes focused on Him, and tomorrow I shall walk within His Spirit pouring out myself to the One who knows all, plans all, and purposes everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...