Thursday, April 12, 2012

Down to the Roots


The “Go” of Relationship

And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.” –Matthew 5:41

No amount of enthusiasm will ever stand up to the strain that Jesus Christ will put upon His servant. Only one thing will bear the strain, and that is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ Himself- a relationship that has been examined, purified, and tested until only one purpose remains and I can truly say, “I am here for God to send me where He will.” Everything else may become blurred, but this relationship with Jesus Christ must never be. (Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, Sept. 25)

What a challenge. I must admit my attitude about missions has not been very good lately. I'm struggling with making sure that it is God's will for me to go. As I read the quote in this devotion, I don't believe I can say it aloud and mean it. I must submit my life; which shouldn't be that difficult because it belongs to Jesus anyway, but the human side of me is having a really hard time with it. At this moment, I don't think whether I go or stay is the main issue. If my relationship with Christ is where it should be, I probably wouldn't be struggling with fighting Him because I would understand what He wants and that would align with mine. Deep down I believe it's fear that is holding me back, thinking if I stay away from God that I won't have to acknowledge the possibility of His will. Truth says that His Will is way better than my best. So why wouldn't I want to submit to the God who has a perfect plan for my life, one better than I could even imagine? Because I'm human and think this world is about me. News flash to myself, it's all about Jesus!

Gary Thomas sums it up quite well in his book I am studying with my bible study called The Glorious Pursuit; "We erect dams every ten inches so we can "control" what God has given to us" (pg 55). How true is that for my life. This idea of control I believe is a sin. If I think back to the garden where Adam and Eve faced the tree of knowledge of good and evil, they were struggling with the possibility of controlling the situation. By turning the other way would have left God in control. They chose their own idea, thinking that more knowledge would lead to a better future. If I take that example and look at my own life, choosing my own idea may give me more knowledge of my future (I will have decided and know what is to come) but that may not be the best plan that God has for me. There is a reason that we were not given the knowledge of our futures, but I must rest in the fact that God has a plan for my life, one that is unique for me. I will conclude with another quote from Thomas' book that I believe summarizes this well;

"When we become content to live in the present, God has given us our lives back in a vivid way; we no longer destroy the present by looking for a better future or a more celebrated now. We are set free to live the life that God created uniquely for us." (pg 53)

Challenge to myself: To let go of the control and fear that is pushing me away from my Savior and to run back to Him, for His arms are open and ready. My heart must be laid bare before Him and I must admit my unbelief and lack of trust to the only One who can water our relationship so that something beautiful can be produced. For I am nothing without Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...