Saturday, April 14, 2012

Humility


The “Go” of Unconditional Identification

One thing you lack…come, take up the cross, and follow me. –Mark 10:21

Jesus’ primary consideration is my absolute annihilation of my right to myself and my identification with Him, which means having a relationship with Him in which there are no other relationships. Very few of us truly know what is meant by the absolute “go” of unconditional identification with, and abandonment and surrender to, Jesus.

I must humble myself until I am merely a living person. (Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, Sept. 28)


As I read the last sentence of this devotion, the book that I am reading with my bible study came to mind as we just concluded two chapters on humility. The following quotes are taken from Gary Thomas' book The Glorious Pursuit.

"Humility is the disposition that makes us available to be blessed by God. The Psalms seem obsessed with God's eagerness to reach out to the humble: God saves the humble, guides the humble, sustains the humble, and even crowns the humble. Notice that everything flows from God to the humble servant." (pg 50)

"Humility is thinking less about yourself, not thinking less of yourself." (pg 52)

"When we become content to live in the present, God has given us our lives back in a vivid way; we no longer destroy the present by looking fora better future or a more celebrated now. We are set free to live the life that God crated uniquely for us." (pg 53)

"If you want to practice humility, learn how to remember God." (pg 60)

"I know I will never become humble, as a permanent state, but I need to learn to practice humility, and that can only be done through the routine, small acts of life in which I put others first." (pg 63)

"...practicing humility means we become open to considering the fact that there is almost always another angle we're missing." (pg 63)

"The beauty of humility is that we become empowered to respect others. Relationships are based on entering into other people's lives, but when we're so focused on ourselves, it is impossible to empty ourselves enough to care about someone else....God wants to gives us our lives, families, and relationships back, and HE wants to do it through planting humility in our hearts. In place of an ugly, controlling spirit, God can give us a generous and humble heart- a beautiful spirit." (pg 65)


As I read through these quotes again, I am overwhelmed by my lack of humility that I display everyday. How often I think of myself first above others. What do I want, what's best for me, what's comfortable for me? "Me" is not important, but rather my relationship with Jesus is. And when my relationship with Jesus is right, everything else is about others because that's who Jesus is in me. Jesus practiced humility in everything he did. I must acknowledge Jesus in everything I do, for in His power, I too can practice humility to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...