Sunday, May 20, 2012

5.20.12 Step by Step


7:20pm Charlotte, NC time. 4:20pm San Diego time. I am currently on board a U.S. Airways flight straight to San Diego. However, I want to take you back about 3 hours ago and explain how I got here. God is good. I arrived at the airport around 4pm. The Lloyds, gave up their afternoon to come and spend some time with me at SIM and then take me to the airport. So many questions were answered and I cannot thank them enough for what they did. I arrived at the airport, went to the kiosk, typed in my confirmation # and up came a little sign that said, “there have been changes to your itinerary” I clicked next and viewed my next flight, Charlotte(5pm) to Chicago(6:09pm). That was my flight, I clicked the series of next buttons until it printed out my boarding pass and I quickly rushed to the security line. Longer than I had expected I relaxed knowing that I really had plenty of time to make my 5pm flight. I arrived with plenty of time (the plane hadn’t even arrived at the terminal yet). I sat down, looked at my ticket and realized I only had one ticket. I’m suppose to have a connecting flight in Chicago to San Diego and when I get off I have no idea where I am to go. Talk with the front desk later and kindly ask her if she can print off my next boarding pass. Few seconds go by…”your flight has been cancelled in Chicago due to mechanical problems”…”Oh they have you on a flight from Chicago to San Diego tomorrow morning”…Now I’m thinking, tomorrow! I’m not very fond of the idea of spending the night in an airport. I kept quiet though and allowed her to keep working. She said give me a second, picked up the phone and asked, “do you have any seats on your flight to San Diego left”? Hangs up the phone. Keeps working. “They have 5 seats left on an airways flight to San Diego, do you have any checked luggage?” No I do not I respond. A few minutes later and I’m walking to a new concourse to check in for a 6:20pm flight from Charlotte to San Diego. My original arrival to San Diego was suppose to be 10:45pm. It has now changed to 8:36pm. I’m jumping for joy inside. God is so good.

I’m walking to my gate and I hear, “Danielle!”…one of the SIMstart attendee’s is sitting at her gate waiting for her flight. I sit on the floor next to her and explain what just happened. We thank God together. I share that I need to get my ticket, I go up to the counter, receive my ticket and the lady says, “you need to go down to your gate to receive a seat”. I sit back down, Attendee offers to watch my bags while I take the walk down. Nice lady at the counter explains the plane is full but she will ask for volunteers. Okay I thought, God has this all under control. If I’m suppose to get on this flight then he’ll make it happen. I go back to Attendee and realize other SIM starters should be showing up soon. I call one, yes they are close and we plan to meet up. Attendee and I share stories about God’s faithfulness, the Bible and thoughts about our near future as well as people watching! Time comes and attendee is ready to board her plane. She leaves and I walk a few to meet up with the other Attendee who has offered to meet up with me. We walk the terminal to my gate to find people loading. I walk up to the desk, ask if there were any extra seats and I get a smile, “Yes we got you a seat”. I smile and say thank you and return to my seat. We chat a few more minutes and soon I am ready to board as well. We hug and say goodbye. God is so good. I will be arriving in San Diego, in about 4 hours, 2 hours earlier than originally expected. God is so good.

And now a brief reflection while I have the time and the battery life on my computer. As I think back to when I was on the plane heading to SIMstart, I remember the excitement, but also the unknown feeling of what to expect. As I flew to SIMstart, I wasn’t sure what God wanted me to do, if this was even what He did want me to do. I knew no one. I had no expectations. I was really looking forward to seeing God show Himself. What I found was something I could have never of dreamed of. An extended family. My fellow attendees and the SIM staff made these last few days just wonderful. We had personal, individualized schedules of our four days ahead of us. Each moment of time was specific to what we needed. As I look back on these last few days, I thank about the countless hours of head bowed prayers being sent up for meetings, interviews, meals, conversations and so much more. By Prayer. SIM’s motto and they made that real for us.
Today I had my exit interview with my selection coordinator and I have to admit I was a little nervous. It was finally my turn to go back, we walked the hallway laughing together and I’m sure she realized my laughter was pure fear of what was ahead. I sat down in the office, door shut and she places a paper in front of me. She asks me to read the letter completely and then we will go over it. Heart pounding.

We have really enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you a little better over the course of this week. We trust your time at SIMStart has been constructive, informative and enjoyable. After meeting with you, reviewing your file and receiving input from the psychologist and those who interviewed you, we…

Seriously. Can you just tell me already, accepted, denied, which one is it???? I keep reading in silence…

…we rejoice to inform you that you have been accepted as an Associate with SIM and are approved to continue in process toward cross cultural missionary service.

I don’t even know what to say! I was a little shocked, quite relieved, and overwhelmingly joyful. 
We talked a bit more about what the future entails. We discussed my placement and she told me that she would be sending my application over to Kenya tomorrow morning and we will wait to hear back, but it shouldn't be too long. We discussed SIMGo which is a 2 week training that will take place in the near future. I just kept smiling. Finally, she said, “before you go I would like to pray for you.” Tears began to fall as the realization of a new chapter was beginning. I left the room and returned to the main lobby where all were gathered. I shared my smile and rejoiced with my fellow brothers and sisters. This reality is happening. We soon had lunch. (Crescents, egg salad, tuna salad, broccoli salad and chips) After lunch we took pictures and said a few goodbyes. Some returned to our living quarters and sat on our community couches in disbelief of what just happened. We, a group, will be sent off in the next few months and years to all different corners of the world to share the good news that Jesus is alive and wants to have a relationship with all the different tribes, peoples, and languages around the world. Unworthy. A conversation begins as we realize we have been accepted into an organization, a family that is so grounded, how in the world do we have the privilege to join them?  

We talked some more, people left slowly, goodbyes were said, hopeful to see each other at training, on the field or in Heaven. So crazy to have bounded with these people and think that I may not see them again until Heaven. And yet we know that as we are sent out, we will be able to keep in contact and rejoice as God continues to guide and direct our paths step by step.
I’m so beyond words at what I feel right now. I do realize a new chapter is beginning, raising of funds will soon begin, recommended books to be read, trainings to do and attend, people to connect with, relationships to rejoice over and miracles to be seen. God is so good.

1 comment:

  1. So exciting!!! And I'm sure a little nerve racking. Continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...