Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 2- Light up the sky

If this picture doesn't get your attention then I'm not sure what will. This was taking during my quiet time in Coronado on January 16, 2011.

I spent Sunday afternoon down at Coronado, reflecting on all that was going through my head with thoughts about church that morning and just the overflow of things that have been going through my head through the last few weeks. I was asked the question by a friend that night, "When do you feel God's presence the most?" my answer- at my deepest of lows and highest of highs. 2nd question, "When do you feel God's presence the least?" my answer- when I'm in the middle, when I'm so focused back on myself and my plans that I have lost God. Now you are probably wondering why I just switched the topic about three times just in that last paragraph, but I'm going to do my best to tie it all in now. You see even when we feel we are in that middle place, where we don't feel that presence of God as strong as in our highs and our lows, it doesn't mean He's not there. The little things, like when he lights up the sky at sunset do we see God's masterpiece.

A song was sent to me by a friend by The Afters, titled Light up the Sky. As I think about that song, the picture above and the idea of the presence of God when you feel like you are in the middle, I realize if we aren't careful, and we are in that middle ground, we will miss the little things. You see God does big things and little things. Normally its the big things we notice, when God gives us the perfect job, a husband to love and care for, a precious baby. We also notice Him when we are struggling, asking questions of desperation, pleading with God, and ultimately finding peace in His plan. However, we sometimes miss the little things, like the sun rising each day to give us light, setting to bring light to the other side of the world as well as to bring us a beautiful sky ;), birds in the sky, a penny on the ground. Many, including myself, may see that penny and walk right past it thinking that's not going to buy me anything...

But God has a plan for that penny; that penny along with just a few more will put dinner on the ground for a homeless man and his family, buy a shirt or new(twice used) pair of shoes for someone in another country, or even will be offered to God as someone's greatest offering that God will multiple and be used to feed the five thousand. You see you never know what God is going to do with the smallest of things in our lives. We tend to focus so much on the big things we sometimes forget the importance of the little ones. As God lights up the sky, my desire is to seek Him through the little things.

Father,

Thank you for the precious gift of your Son Jesus Christ. Thank you for sending Him to this earth, to live in a human body, suffer and die for the sins that I have committed. I find hope in knowing that through Jesus and the shedding of His blood that I will one day find you in heaven, to get to sit on your lap and hear all about your beautiful creation. Until then Father I give you my life, to use me to complete your plans here on Earth. Such freedom comes in knowing that tomorrow I may be walking down a completely different path than the one I think is ahead tonight. Once again Father I bring before you the burden on my heart of returning to Romania. I desire your will and to follow in obedience the plans you have for my life. As I lift this prayer up to you, I just ask that you would hear me. That you would show me somehow that I am suppose to follow through and find contacts or to remain still and seek more and more of your presence.

And Father I cannot go further without stopping and thanking you for the gift of fellowship. You have blessed me with a wonderful community of friends that are centered around You. As they begin to take the next step in their lives of marriage and children, Father I just lift that burden up to you. Whatever you have for my life, may I be patient and trust that you are in complete control. Thank you for this day, thank you for this night, and may you supplement my rest with an extra bit of energy to accomplish all you have for us tomorrow. May you continue to be the light of my life, my best friend and my everything.

It's in your name that I lift these prayers up to You,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...